Resources - Blog
Selling Refurbished Goods With Amazon Renewed
Stay on top of the latest e-commerce and marketplace trends.
In January, Amazon restricted the sale of items in “refurbished” condition on their marketplace. Now, only sellers that are pre-approved by Amazon are allowed to list refurbished products, as part of a program that Amazon calls Amazon Renewed. In order to participate in the program, you must apply, but if you are not approved, you can still sell “used” goods on standard ASINs.
What Items Will Be Considered for Amazon Renewed?
Amazon classifies high-quality, like-new products as items that have been inspected and tested to work and look like new. Your items need to be run through a thorough refurbishment process that includes a diagnostic test, replacement of any defective parts, comprehensive cleaning and inspection, and repackaging when necessary. The products should have minimal to no signs of wear and no visible cosmetic imperfections when held 12 inches away.
Lastly, you need to ship products with all relevant accessories that would be expected for a new product, and the item needs to be backed by a minimum 90-day warranty. Once you qualify, you can sell like-new products in some of the below categories: laptops and computers, smartphones, tablets, cameras, television sets, home appliances, automotive parts, watches, video game consoles, outdoors and sports, and more.
Qualifications for Amazon Renewed
To be eligible to participate in Amazon Renewed, you need to meet the below criteria:
1. First and foremost, you need to be registered to sell on Amazon. If you are new to selling on Amazon, you can send your details to Amazon and they will help you set up your account.
2. You need to share invoices that show a minimum total value of $50,000 in qualifying refurbished purchases in the previous 90 days from the date of your application. Sellers intending to offer products in select categories such as Home Improvement and Lawn & Garden can show the purchases over the previous 180 days. You may black-out the unit purchase amount on the invoices.
3. If you are an existing seller on Amazon, the company requires an Order Defect Rate of 0.8% or less in the trailing 90 days.
4. For factory refurbished items without a manufacturer warranty, you are required to submit a minimum of eight images of a sample unit that will be subject to a product and packaging review.
5. You need to provide a minimum 90-day warranty on all of your refurbished products.
6. To list any Apple-branded items in the Consumer Electronics categories, you need to submit invoices dated from trailing 90 days that total $2.5 million in Apple refurbished products.
7. Once approved, you can start selling your refurbished goods or adding your offers to existing product listings.
Given that Amazon Renewed is an exclusive program, you will only be granted access if you meet Amazon’s quality criteria and customer satisfaction metrics and can continuously supply like-new products on an ongoing basis. By participating in the program, you have the opportunity to sell to Amazon’s vast and highly loyal consumer base and drive incremental growth to your bottom line by capitalizing on the refurbished products segment.