University - Managing Orders
All orders placed through Amazon are to be fulfilled in a timely manner, in accord with the Order Timeline. That is, when a buyer makes a purchase, the seller of that product bears the responsibility of making sure that the buyer receives the product within the time period specified.
Amazon Handling Time
Amazon requires sellers to confirm shipment of orders within 30 days of the order being made, or the order is cancelled automatically. Within that timeframe, however, sellers determine their requirements for handling time – how soon after the buyer’s purchase the order must be transferred to the delivery carrier.
The following steps are taken to fulfill every order in a timely way:
1. Buyer places order: A buyer adds a given seller’s product to the shopping cart and proceeds to checkout to complete the purchase. At this time, terms of the sale are final, including the method of payment and shipping.
2. Amazon Payments begins processing order: The order is pending, and the seller can view the order’s status in the Manage Orders tab of the Seller Central page.
3. Order is held by Amazon Payments: This planned delay in processing allows buyers to cancel their orders if they were made by mistake or with incorrect information. A canceled order has the status, “Canceled” on the Manage Orders tab of the Seller Central page.
- Buyers using standard checkout procedures have 15 minutes after placing the order to cancel it.
- Buyers using the 1-Click method to checkout have 105 minutes after placing the order to cancel it.
4. Order is validated by Amazon Payments: Amazon evaluates order details and payment information of the buyer. Several outcomes of this evaluation are possible:
- Payment is successful: When payment information is confirmed, Amazon Payments sends an order confirmation to both the buyer and the seller, and sends the shipping information to the seller. On the Manage Orders tab of the Seller Central page, the order’s status is “Payment complete.” With successful payment, notifications appear in under two hours.
- Payment is initially unsuccessful: When the payment information cannot be confirmed, the payment is unsuccessful, and Amazon Payments emails the buyer to establish that further action is required to process the transaction. The seller is also notified by Amazon Payments and is asked to hold the designated item for up to 72 hours in anticipation of successful payment from the buyer. During this time, the order appears as “Pending” on the Manage Orders tab of the Seller Central page.
- Payment processing is extended: When Amazon Payments implements certain security measures, an order’s processing time may be extended as long as 1-3 business days. The seller may not receive notification about the status of this kind of order, and the order will appear as “Pending” on the Manage Orders tab of the Seller Central page.
- Payment is unsuccessful: When payment information cannot be confirmed and the buyer does not respond to Amazon Payments with a successful payment, Amazon Payments cancels the order and does not notify the seller. The order’s status is “Canceled” on the Manage Orders tab of the Seller Central page.
- Seller receives order notification from Amazon Payments: When an order payment is successful, Amazon Payments emails the seller with the shipping information and order status. The seller ships the order to the shipping address provided by Amazon Payments, as listed in the Orders Report. The seller is not authorized to ship the item to any other address.
- Seller receives buyer’s funds from Amazon Payments: Aside from any fees, Amazon Payments places all funds generated from the order into the designated account established by the seller.
- Seller processes order. The seller, unless using Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA), confirms the order in the Manage Orders tab of Seller Central page.
- Seller ships order: Unless using FBA, the seller ships the order using the appropriate shipping carrier, who delivers the package to the buyer’s shipping address.
- Buyer receives order.
- Buyer is encouraged to provide feedback about the seller’s customer service.