Resources - Blog
Amazon Prime Day Series: Celebrity Deals, Twitch, and Amazon’s Ad Push
Stay on top of the latest e-commerce and marketplace trends.
Last week, Amazon revealed an impressive group of actors, artists, and musicians that they are partnering with this Prime Day to introduce new and exclusive products to Prime members. Prime members can view the deals and products offered by celebrities now through Prime Day while supplies last at amazon.com/celebdeals.
The company is collaborating with a diverse range of celebrities, such as Kobe Bryant, Marshmello, Hilary Duff, Kristen Bell, Will and Jaden Smith, Mark Wahlberg, Jojo Siwa, and more.
Examples of new, exclusive products include custom-designed Levi’s, Hilary Duff’s children’s hoodie, and bows from Jojo Siwa, while examples of exclusive deals on celebrity products include discounts of JUST water products from Jaden Smith, This Saves Lives snack bars from Kristen Bell, and whey protein from Mark Wahlberg.
Amazon also released a free social media toolkit for sellers to use to prepare for Prime Day. Inclusive of more than 20 templates, graphics, and ideas for social posts, the toolkit outlines best practices for driving engagement across social media and encourages sellers to use the hashtag #2019primeday to make their posts easily searchable.
With links to Amazon’s 2019 Prime Day guide, information on Amazon’s imaging services, details on how to create an Amazon Store, and a guide on how to use social media promotional codes, the toolkit provides specific recommendations sellers can apply across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Additionally, Twitch, an Amazon subsidiary and leading live streaming video platform, is presenting a “Twitch Sells Out” exclusive event for Prime day, which will begin on Monday, July 15 at 10 a.m. and run until 10 p.m. PT. The presenters will showcase Amazon Prime Day deals that are specifically targeted to the Twitch community, such as games and gaming hardware, electronics, and kitchenware.
The stream will be viewable to anyone, but the deals are only available to Amazon Prime members. Prime members can also connect their Twitch accounts to receive benefits such as free channel subscriptions, exclusive in-game rewards, and occasional one-off deals. In addition to the stream, Twitch will host two celebrity e-sports tournaments on its Twitch Prime channel during the lead-up period to Prime Day, such as the Crown Cup beginning at 10 a.m. PT on July 13.
Advertising Is a Focus for Amazon This Prime Day
According to Amazon data from 2018, advertisers have seen a 5x increase in sales with Sponsored Products on Prime Day versus their daily average sales during the previous month. To demonstrate that Prime Day Sponsored ads campaigns help drive sales volume, the company has created a unique landing page to encourage sellers to leverage advertising on Prime Day 2019.
In the Prime Day advertising guide, Amazon has compiled statistics from last year’s Prime Day, benefits of what Sponsored ads can do to help your bottom line, the available ad types, how to get started, and specific actions that you can leverage before, during, and after Prime Day to continue driving momentum.
Here are some recommended best practices from Amazon to inform a comprehensive Prime Day advertising strategy:
- Engage brand-aware, high-intent audiences to purchase your products.
- Advertise all products with 3.5+ stars to accelerate sales velocity to your highest-rated ASINs.
- Use Sponsored ads to generate further exposure for your Lightning Deals. Your ad will automatically feature the Deal badge in search results placements and products in your Amazon Store will also automatically feature information for deals and coupons.
- Stay competitive during peak traffic times by increasing your bids to the maximum amount you are willing to pay for a click.
- Optimize your bids by using dynamic bidding for Sponsored Products. This allows Amazon to automatically increase your bid when an ad impression is likely to result in a conversion, and lower it when conversion is less likely. You can also implement custom bid adjustments for Sponsored Brands to increase or lower your bids by an amount you choose for placements below the top of search.
- Harvest negative keywords to avoid wasting ad spend on keywords that are irrelevant or do not perform well for you.
- Monitor your campaigns regularly throughout Prime Day. Be sure to check for any missing eligible ASINs that should be added to your campaigns, ensure your budget and bids are high enough, and identify relevant keywords and increase bids on top performers.
By preparing for Prime Day in advance, you will be able to leverage the global shopping holiday to help you achieve your sales targets for the year and accomplish any other business objectives you have in mind. Advertising with Sponsored ads such as Sponsored Products and Sponsored Brands will allow you to drive sales, brand visibility, and reach, all with Amazon’s most loyal shoppers.